Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Taughannock Waterfalls and Gorge

During our travels to New Yorks Finger Lake Region we included a visit to the Taughannock Falls State park located near Ithaca, New York. The Taughannock Falls is 215 ft and 33ft higher than Niagara Falls.







The name originates from a Delaware Indian Chief named Taughannock which means great fall in the woods. I was totally surprised to see this gorge and the waterfalls in this area. It is an easy walk up the river which is mostly flat rocks. I had a lot of fun watching a Kingfisher flying up and down the creek. The Taughannock Creek flows into the Cayuga Lake.








 Ithaca is located near the Finger Lakes and near the Finger Lakes are hundreds of wineries. The Finger Lake region is a great place to do some wine tasting. Watkins Glen is also nearby, so there is a lot to do in this general area. Also included in this trip was a visit to the Montezuma Nat'l Wildlife Refuge. Gradually I am making my around to visit all our countries National Wildlife Refuges.

This is my Watery Wednesday post, to see more great watery shots from all over go and visit 2sweetnsaxy at Watery Wednesday


This post is also entered at Michelle's Nature Notes go and visit Ramblingwoods
Thanks for visiting my blog and for your nice comments.

15 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful gorge and waterfall. Interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful country there! Love that very tall waterfall, so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful...There's so much to see in the U.S.A.
    Happy O.W. to you...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never been to the Finger Lakes! It looks gorgeous... maybe this summer we'll take a ride upstate to see it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great. I love waterfalls -- would love to see this one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The waterfall is so pretty! I love visiting the Finger Lakes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Refreshing scenes. Beautiful shots!

    Have a great week Eileen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought I was on Betsy's blog for a minute as she loves waterfalls. The info is very intereting. Higher than Niagara!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing this beautiful waterfall with us. We'll have to add it to our 'must see' list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a dramatic waterfall with the contrast of sculpted rock walls and lush green. Our Wildlife Refuges provide such diversity and I think are not heavily visited. Excellent captures Eileen.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We went Watkins Glen when my son was a baby (he's now 15). Thanks for reminding me how pretty it is up in the Finger Lakes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE this! I think this would be a place I might enjoy more than Niagra...what it very "touristy"?

    I'm going to have to look this place up and also the other National Wildlife Refuges!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, what a gorgeous place! Luck you to have been there -- and luck us that you're showing it to us.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, Thanks for stopping by my blog. I appreciate all your visits.

BTW, I will not publish anonymous comments, unless I recognize the name. Sorry!

Have a great day, Eileen

Grace Bay, Turks and Caicos, Nov 2023

 Grace Bay, Turks and Caicos, November 5-9th 2023 Hubby and I enjoyed a short getaway to Turks and Caicos. It is a British territory, close ...